Skip to main content

Mid-life crisis? crisis, transformation or damned good fun?


Mid-life crisis - how to recognise if you are there!

crisis, transformation or damned good fun?


Picture this…. It’s a sunny balmy day, the hubster and I have decided to go out for a pub lunch in leafy Surrey. Should we go in his car or mine? Decision made we jump in his car, roll back the roof and with huge grins on our faces rev the engine loudly and roar out of our road feeling like teenagers!
Driving from LA to Morro Bay!
Deffo' a mid life crisis car!


 Was our behavior a manifestation of a mid-life crisis? Well predictably we don’t think so………. we just think we are hurtling down the road in a sporty car because we have reached an age when we can finally afford to have a car “just for fun”. We decided that a mid-life crisis is nothing more than envy from the “young people!”.

The phrase mid-life crisis, (MLC), got me thinking. A term normally referring to men it seems that women are being recognized as going through this funny stage of life too. Certainly according my younger child! Maybe they are right. I do have a penchant for Converse, high heels and my well-worn faux leather jacket, not to mention still loving going to see my favourite bands!

So if said child is right in their assertion how would such a crisis manifest itself in a woman and are they in fact correct, Marj, yes that is their nickname for me, is going through a MLC!

My first thoughts are that women really do go through a very real change from their 40s onwards with the menopause. It is a real bona fide “change of life”. Of course as we are peri-menopausal and later menopausal we experience a whole host of other potential MLC triggers. If we have had children, we are now facing the empty nest syndrome and in a culture where youth and beauty are intrinsically linked to success it is no wonder many women will lose their equilibrium for a while! I know I definitely did experience deep sadness when the children left home. I spent months trying to work out what my purpose was.

You might be questioning what you have achieved in life or what you fancy doing with your life that brings a lot more purpose. I know I have become much more vocal about causes I care about and I had to let out my inner creativity instead of ignoring it as it screamed aloud inside me. I too no longer crave “things” for the sake of having things”. I just want a simpler life.

Suddenly I have found myself needing to be “great” or “worthwhile”. This is huge burden to carry and I know I am not the only woman who feels like this. Somehow we have to work out and believe that actually just by being a woman we are inherently “great”.

Reflecting on my changes in behavior have got me wondering whether in fact this period is a crisis or in fact a changing time where I am re-establishing my identity. I am still a mother but my role has changed. I am still ambitious, but for different things. I am still me. The core of me is not in crisis, it’s just tinkering around the edges!

For many of us we are transforming. We are careering out of a long emotional train tunnel finding ourselves feeling different, looking to create a legacy.

But do we all go through this? Arguably a mid-life crisis is often money driven. You know, the sports car, the new clothes, the Botox (or not!). Could this mean that actually MLC is constructed by the middle classes?  Maybe not….

It seems that MLC is not exclusive to humans. Warwick University carried out extensive research led by Professor Oswald with over 500 orangutans. The research showed that apes do in fact suffer the same low at the same period in their life. The good news is that like humans’ things do pick up again. Professor Oswald states that the findings of the research do suggest that it is unlikely that the traditional triggers such as displeasure with our careers or having a little more money in the bank at last, probably don’t cause MLC. There may be a small effect from some aspects of life but they aren’t as impactful as we first thought. He also believes that they can rule out the menopause as a cause of MLC.

 So we are back at square one and perhaps MLC is more to do with the realization that we have probably already lived more years than we have left and in that case we better make those coming years count? In the meantime, as I mull over it all, I will still be found careering down country lanes with Mr. S at a speed that would make Jenson Button green with envy as my bleached blonde hair flies behind me like a peroxided kite with a copy of the Iliad in the foot well and tunes banging out through the stereo! Catch me if you can!

Does any of this ring true with you? Are you reading this as you get ready for a night out on the tiles? I would love to know I am not alone. Please do leave your comments below.

Namaste
Janie S x
For articles, tutorials and really useful links come over to the community at www.savvynsassy.net 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BEST 5 FITNESS VLOGGERS FOR WOMEN OVER 50, CRASH DIETS AND "DIRE" CONSEQUENCES!

Hey! Pic borrowed but can't find owner! Sorry I have been a little quiet of late. I've had no energy! Seriously! Body has been exhausted and brain full of fog and this time I cant blame the menopause! I t's all my own fault to be honest . Before I tell you my Top 5 YT Fitness Vloggers, there needs to be a little context! In my infinite wisdom I decided to do a crash diet. Now before you gasp and clasp your pearls there's a good reason! I watched a documentary on TV about how crash diets had modernised and were a great way to kickstart weight loss and get super healthy, super quick. Tests showed that people rid themselves of type 2 diabetes etc in just a couple of weeks. Now I don't have any of those issues thankfully, but, I am Mrs Impatient, so I thought it would be a great idea.....you know, safely kickstart some weight loss and get motivated! Well, let me tell you, I have never felt so awful in my life! The programme recommended meal replacements follow

Derma Rolling- quick and simple tutorial!

Hey there all you  Savvy 'n' Sassy peeps! Derma rolling is said to be the best collagen boosting treatment you can do for yourself at home! I have created a quick and simple video tutorial for you today so you can find out more about it and decide if it is for you! I have to say that I find the needles rolling over my skin quite therapeutic! Am I weird?! I hope you love the vid and if you do please can you hit like and subscribe ! I am going to be your Guinea Pig and see if it works on my upper lip lines! I will report back once a month with photos and feedback! First photo will be on the blog tomorrow along with how it looks after rolling!!!!! I really hope that this is going to work! Visit the website and subscribe to be the first to find out about the upcoming competition where you can win a derma roller of your own! Look after yourselves and refuse to be invisible! Namaste Janie S xxx

Anti Age Your Makeup! My Top 13 Tips To Look More youthful!

Hey there!  How are you all today? Hopefully really well and are making the most of the over 50 life! Never forget our mantra - refuse to be invisible! Today's blog is about avoiding makeup mistakes that can you make look old and old fashioned ! avoiding anti-anti-ageing makeup mistakes! No doubt you have read in numerous magazines that you need to keep makeup updated to stay looking fresh and youthful. Sadly, too many women are still rocking, (or not), the look they wore when they were eighteen. It just doesn’t work! If you don't believe me, dig out a photo of you when you were 18. (Post it in the comments section if you want to share!). Now be honest do you want to replicate that look right now? To avoid making ourselves look older we need to take heed of a few make-up artist tips………... 1.        Do not overpluck your eyebrows. Thin brows make us look hard which in turn is ageing. A lovely full shaped brow is the answer for a youthful look. I find